Today, exercise is one of the mainstays of the treatment of diabetes. In this post, we will discuss the benefits of exercise for diabetes treatment in detail.
Read on to find out more about exercise for diabetes treatment.
Exercise for diabetes treatment
Physical activity is very necessary for your body’s health. It also helps to increase the sensitivity of cells to insulin, lowering blood pressure and weight. Therefore, it is one of the key therapies for diabetes treatment (especially type 2 diabetes).
What is the effect of exercise on diabetes treatment?
Exercise is essential to everyone’s health, and it matters more when you have diabetes. Exercise can lower your blood glucose and improve your body’s ability to absorb glucose. Regular exercise reduces your need for insulin.
▪ Exercise can reduce the insulin resistance caused by obesity.
▪ Exercise reduces the risk factors for cardiovascular disease and also reduces the risk of heart problems, which is one of the biggest concerns of patients with diabetes. Exercise reduces the risk factors for cardiovascular by:
- Reducing LDL (bad cholesterol), which causes clots to form in the walls of the veins.
- Increasing HDL (good cholesterol) that has a protective effect on heart disease.
- Hypertension is reduced by exercise, and it has been shown that mild to moderate hypertension can be treated by exercise.
What are the best exercises for diabetes treatment?
Aerobic exercises are the most appropriate exercise for diabetes treatment. Aerobic exercises are said to be associated with oxygen consumption. The features of these types of exercises are running long distances with a slow pace.
In general, the patients should choose activities that interest them so that they can do it for many years. Activities such as skiing, sightseeing, swimming, jogging, cycling and walking create the best aerobic conditions. The advantage of walking is that anyone can do it without regard to age and sex. Walking is possible everywhere, and all the time, but the disadvantage of walking is that it takes three times as much time to get the same benefits as running.
Why should you lose weight for diabetes treatment and control?
▪ Being overweight, even at low levels, especially if the fat is stored in the abdomen, increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high levels of cholesterol. Proper weight and proper body composition can prevent these diseases.
▪ In patients with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or a combination of these diseases, weight loss is the best treatment. Exercising daily is very effective alone or in combination with other treatments. It can even eliminate the need for medication in some cases.
Obesity is a cardiovascular risk factor, meaning that even in the absence of diabetes, high blood pressure or high levels of cholesterol, or even when these diseases are well treated, weight loss can increase your longevity.
Being overweight causes continuous pressure on various joints, including the wrists, knees, hips, and back of the lumbar, which, over time, can cause burnout, joint pain, and reduced movement.
▪ Belly fat can make breathing difficult, and this difficulty in breathing when you are asleep may be dangerous and will increase the likelihood of developing chronic airway infections and respiratory failure.